Recycling has returned to the Village of Portage. Thanks to the Wood County Solid Waste Management District we now have a permanent 24 hour drop site in the parking lot behind the Village Hall.
Unlike the monthly recycling trailer that was only open three hours on a Saturday morning, the new site is open 24 hours a day, 7-days a week, 365 days a year. Besides the convenience of having anytime drop-off, now more items are recyclable and they no longer need to be sorted. Two bins are available and you may put your recyclables in either bin.
All containers need to be emptied and rinsed before recycling. Do NOT bag your recyclables and do NOT put the following items in the recycle bins:
- No garbage.
- No plastic bags.
- No food or liquid.
- No clothing or linens.
- No tanglers (no hoses, cables, wires, etc.).
- No motor oil containers.
- No styrofoam.
- No polystyrene egg cartons.
Recyclable items include:
- Plastics bottles, containers and packaging numbered 1 through 7. Sorry, no motor oil containers.
- Cardboard and paper products. Cardboard boxes should be flattened to save space in bins.
- Office paper (staples are OK), magazine, newspaper, phone books, junk mail, envelopes and brochures.
- Aluminum/metal beverage and food containers and household scrap metal. Sorry, no construction or automotive parts.
- Glass bottles and jars. No window glass.
- Wax milk and juice cartons.
If you have and questions or would like more information please call 419-354-9297 or visit the Wood County Solid Waste Management District website www.recyclewoodcounty.org.